From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 2008 10:37:36 -0500
On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 10:26 AM, Amy Harrelson <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Hello List,
>  I have a question for all of ya'll.  In some newer electronic document
> management systems, there is a capability to capture and move emails over in
> their native format and allow them to reside this way until lifecycle is
> complete.

Just a point of order here. There are electronic DOCUMENT management systems
(EDMS) and there are electronic RECORDS management systems (ERMS). Two
entirely different creatures.

> In the past, I have been taught that an email should be converted to pdf or
> something like that so that the content can be preserved.

That was because rarely could you read the email in its native format
outside of the email client.

>  Now the argument seems to be if the email can be moved over, it allows the
> attachments to stay attachments, I really do not see this as the best method
> of keeping documents because if attachments are of value, they should be
> filed as should the email.

It really all depends upon the content. When implementing an ERMS you really
need to do some upfront analysis to determine how your organization is using
their email system. Are attachments sent via email because there is no other
way to distribute them? When should the attachment be kept with the email?
When should it be removed from the email and filed separately? There is no
one rule that will cover all the ways your organization uses email.

>  I also was under the impression that there were some legal stipulations
> that require an unalterable document, however if metadata and audit trails
> are captured is this enough?  Just curious as to what the list has to say.

A record should remain unalterable, a document is a different matter. The
question is "When does the document become a record?"

just my 2 cents
--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va