From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 2008 19:31:09 -0500
On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 6:41 PM, Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

>   I "own" the primary ARMA group and have received permission from ARMA to
> use the ARMA logo. I generally reject applicants who are not obviously in
> the RIM industry (another "bad" aspect of LinkedIn is that there were a
> number of people who were "collecting" Groups as some sort of badge of honor
> and that got to be a pain). I don't verify ARMA membership, however.

I do own the ICRM group and have permission to use the logo. The group is
open only to those individuals who hold the designation. I verify against
the ICRM registry.

I'm guilty of the badge collecting, but it has been fruitful. you can hide
groups you belong to if you want.

> Speaking from the new part of my day job (investigations and forensics), if
> you're doing bad things at work (or elsewhere), I can assure you that
> LinkedIn is the very first place we look to find out about what someone is
> doing, who they know, and what their job history is.

I have a brother who works in the securities industry. His employer is
searching through LinkedIn for employees who have listed the company. They
are slowly developing a policy on how employees can use LinkedIn and what
they can say in their profile.

> And I (ahem) have 541 connections (but Mimi Dionne's in there three times
> for some reason).

 that's easy. Mimi is in 3 times because she signed up using 3 different
email addresses. My recommendation is to set up your linkedin account using
a non-business email address. Remember notifications and messages from
linkedin come to you via the email address you are registered under. If you
leave an employer you'll have to start all over again unless you have added
additional email addresses to your profile.
 LInkedIN recommends "Adding an email address is useful if you expect to be
invited to connect at more than one address. *We recommend that you add both
a personal and work email address."

*
To do that just log into your account and select Account and settings at the
top of the page. then under Personal information select email addresses,
just follow the instructions. This is also where you can delete an account.

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va