From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 2008 16:32:00 -0500
On Dec 12, 2008, at 12:00 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system wrote:

> Date: December 11, 2008 1:04:03 PM EST
> Subject: Virtual Threats

In this recent issue of STORAGE Vo. 7 N0. 11 December 2008 (If you
are keeping track) there is an article DR for Virtualized Servers and
the author states "  ..... the ease of deploying virtualized servers
bears the risk of spawning new servers running critical applications
without the necessary data protection and disaster recovery (DR).
Moreover, data protection and DR in virtual environments pose a
variety of challenges, AND (my capitals)  processes deployed for the
physical infrastructure may not work (or work differently) for
virtualized servers."

There is a quote in the article from Symantec Annual Disaster
Recovery Research Report that provides this data: ..."35% of virtual
servers aren't covered under the organizations' Disaster Recovery
Plan; in addition, only 37% of those surveyed back up all of their
virtual servers."

Keep in mind this is a magazine that is very favorable to the IT
crowd.  This is like their Mother calling them fat and ugly.  (Man, I
know how that hurts!! I deserved it but still.....! )

Now while they are pointing out the errors of their ways, they speak
of how easy the virtual servers are to protect but that in the rush
to new equipment no one thought about "What happens if something
happens??"

My point here, on a records management Listserve is that this kind of
information is gold to a records manager trying to hold on to their
job, trying to garner a raise or in bolstering some plan that RM is
presenting to management.

I use a Mac, so I am the last guy to point out how to run an IT
department but
I think talking this out is good for all of us.  If you feel
differently please carry that  torch forward as you present the flip
side and believe me, IT will present an argument like yours so we all
gain talking through both sides of the issue.

Jay, in detail, tell me why we should be careful going into a meeting
and pointing out some of this, or asking "Are all of our Virtual
Servers back up?"  or  "What if we are required to data map this and
then an accident happens on a server we don't even know is part of
our critical apps?"

What can I do?  No one ever asks me questions about fireproof vaults,
so I am forced to talk about things I know nothing about.  But even
the court Jester can be helpful if he alerts the Castle to a kitchen
fire!

Ahhh, fire.  I know about fire. Alas.........   :~)

But don't stop the debate Jay.  This is where we learn.  I am honest
there.
Tell us what the IT guy will say to refute what I am saying.

But I bet given the facts, John Phillips argument would make the CEO
stop and think; and, hopefully act.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134