From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 2008 00:24:42 -0500
On Dec 13, 2008, at 12:01 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system wrote:

> From: WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: December 12, 2008 4:52:22 PM EST
> Subject: Re: Virtual Threats
>

> Hugh, I'll confess to only partially following this thread and my
> usual
> ignorance. Are you talking about out-sourced virtual servers, virtual
> servers maintained as part of an organization's internal IT
> infrastructure, or virtual servers regardless of where they are
> maintained? I'm trying to understand if this is a problem inherent in
> the technology itself, or if its problem associated with cloud
> computing
> and/or outsourced services.

Any and all of the above would be my answer from reading some of the
tech journals.  If IT is making use of inactive servers across the
company platform or if they are using a third party that offers
service hosting. Certainly under Cloud computing which can again be
internal or outsourced.

I am just pointing out that before we have a handle on the Virtual
Server world and its problems with security and use in court that the
industry is pushing us into Cloud Computing.  Many have had internal
clouds which is really just a variant of virtual servers or virtual
data centers but now they want to use Google or Dell or IBM to be a
host.  Some companies have already failed in this arena leaving some
people with data in a cloud that evaporated.

But John Phillips tells this story better (more intelligently) than

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM