From:
Angie Fares <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2008 10:34:22 -0600
Gee, Peter.  Wasn't try to shoot you...just make point.

Actually, we do not depend completely on the vendor.  We analyze the
patterns that the vendor provides and look for corrective action on both
sides.  We also take a sample of cases selected at random from the ones
that were reported as 100% compliant and audit the tickets or contact
the stores for their copy of the ticket.

We have a great relationship with our current vendor.  One of the things
that our audits uncovered, though, was the need for the shred industry
to embrace the fact that part of compliance monitoring aspect was to
accept that they were also now in the trucking business and needed to
address that aspect of the service as they did their courier service.
On time and at the right location ready to execute to the service level
required by the customer.  The other thing that it uncovered was the
need for new automation to address performance/compliance metrics.

The data required for compliance monitoring is not currently automated
by any of the large players in this industry in a way that makes sense
to my industry, so the compilation of large amounts of data is a
challenge for anyone who takes on large national accounts where there is
a great deal of dynamic change.  All of my stores are shredded at least
quarterly (required by our merchant banks) and some more often than
that.  That means handling tens of thousands of visits where, at any
time, a mistake can happen.  So, I want my vendor to correct the problem
before it becomes a problem for me and then use the data to improve
their performance rate.  I use their data to also measure the
effectiveness of training in the field (which Iron Mountain would like
to know is taking place so that their drivers have smoother execution in
the field).

I certainly hope that the new laws will drive automation in a way that
is useful to both the vendor and the customers who need to measure
vendor performance.