From:
Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 2009 15:51:24 -0800
Samantha, did you do an information inventory yet?   That is a series of
interviews with each dept. to discover and document their systems,
processes, workflow(s), and information.  Do not bother comparing notes
with other organizations regarding records retention policy.  Their
policy will not help you a bit; could get your org. in hot water by not
retaining your information according to your own organizational needs
and doing your own regulatory research.   Operational, Fiscal,
Regulatory, Legal, Historic.   Those are the retention policy factors;
the retention policy for each record series will be the longest of the
above mentioned evaluated and researched factors.

I will send you some information direct.

Here is a good link for federal regulatory agencies' requirements. I
assume you are in the USA.
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/cfr-table-search.html#page1

  I do not know in which state you live; but you can search the
internet for state regulatory requirements.

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

>>> [log in to unmask] 1/12/2009 2:40 PM >>>
Hi:

My name is Sam and I am new to the Records Management field.  My
knowledge of Records Management is scarce but the company I work for
has
decided to institute a records management program and has appointed me
to take care of it.  I have been doing a lot of research and watching
the conversations on the listserv.  I must admit this is all a bit
overwhelming.

Here is my question:  I work for a publishing company that has more
than
500 employees.  We have offices across the United States as well as
international and we are privately owned.  I am doing research right
now
into Federal and state statutes and regulations for records retention.
The easiest to find are the HR type documents, but do any of you have
resources or specific guidelines you used while putting together your
own retention schedule?  And did you compare your own business to
similar businesses for best business practices for record retention if
there wasn't a statute or regulation in place?

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Samantha K. Daleiden
Contracts Administrator

the message.