From:
"McLemore, Dustin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2009 10:17:57 -0600
We are seeing this phenomenon occurring quite a bit in the western US.
Large institutions such as Arizona State University have moved to g-mail
but retain their standard domain name (for example: @asu.edu).  The mail
is actually stored on a google server.  In terms of retention think of
it as a relationship between a vendor and an agency.  Our physical
records vendor leaves the retention management totally up to us even
though they hold physical custody of the records.  With g-mail's archive
function, the user will have to physically get rid of the e-mail by
ensuring that it has been removed from the archived folder.  Given that
google's PER USER storage capacity is something astronomical like to
10gb (an approximation).  They could archive messages indefinitely.  My
suspicion is that they are using compression to overcome server space
issues.

r/
dm
--