From:
"Vandenberg, Erin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2009 15:08:12 -0600
In an effort to avoid reinventing the wheel, I'm hoping one of you has
experience or suggestions to share.

Our university's records management program and policy is only about six
months old.  I've been doing training on what exactly the program does,
how to use the records retention schedule, and the steps that need to be
taken when disposing of official records but I've found that many
departments are overwhelmed by the idea of reorganizing their filing
systems to expedite complying with the retention periods for their
records.

In response, I'm attempting to develop training that will discuss best
practices for establishing or organizing a filing system that will make
it easier for departments to move records from active to inactive and
then to either destruction or to the university archives.

I can find plenty of information on best practices regarding
establishing alphabetic, numerical and subject filing systems but not as
much information on how to arrange a filing system that makes it easy to
identify the active from the inactive files.

Other than discussing the perpetual transfer method (which would work
for records such as graduated student files) and the periodic transfer
method (which would work for records being sent to the university
archives), is there any other information or best practices I should be
imparting?  Has anyone done this kind of training at their job
(especially if it's in a university setting) who would be willing to
share ideas?

If possible, please respond via email off-list.  Thanks.

Erin Vandenberg
Director of Records Management
Office of the Secretary
DePaul University