From:
TC Makinen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2009 16:15:52 -0500
On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 3:34 PM, L Carpenter <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> [snip]  The documents usually contain the version number
> and version date on each page of the footer and in the version log. I
> personally think that makes it easy to ensure that the document is
> consistent throughout, that someone didn't substitute pages, and, if there
> was more than one version on the same day, it's easy to ensure that everyone
> is using the most up to date version. In addition, if you're talking to
> someone on the phone and you ask what version they're looking at, they can
> look at the current page they're on and tell you either the name or the
> number.
>
> I'm getting some pushback on having both version number and version date on
> every page of the footer (the recommendation is only version number in the
> footer, but version date on the 1st page only and in the log).

A version number alone is meaningless unless the number itself
includes a date element. If ensuring the recency of the document is
important, then why make the date information difficult (or more work)
to find? I like your arguments for including the date in the footer,
especially the "more than one version a day" scenario. Why do you
think you're getting the pushback?

Regards,
Taina Makinen
tcmakinen at gmail dot com