From:
"Jeffrey @ Waters Edge" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2009 08:25:59 -0500
I am new to this list, and have joined on the recommendation of fellow ARMA
members in the Greater Washington DC Chapter.  I have been asked to research
the various financial cost variables associated with culling and disposing
of legacy boxes that continue to be stored beyond scheduled disposition and
are not otherwise required by litigation holds or other requirements to be
retained.

While we know that, in many companies, the physical storage costs have often
been so low as to discourage more proactive, current management of legacy
boxes, despite what might otherwise be required by retention schedules,
e-discovery lawyers are increasingly vigorous in demanding review,
particularly if the contents of legacy boxes are poorly recorded and
described.

We also have learned that some storage vendors charge processing charges for
disposition that almost discourage their customers from doing so.  Any
insights, anecdotes or references to other studies would be greatly
appreciated (either on the list or off-list; I will be sure to share the
collected results of anything we are able to gather:

--What are the most common causes for accumulation of boxes beyond scheduled
disposition dates?

--What resources are used to perform the culling-FTE personnel or
contractors?

--What procedures and controls are developed to obtain sign-offs on
dispositions-Legal, Audit, Compliance?

--What are the outcomes-how many boxes get retained following review?

--What are the actual costs (particularly time-based costs) for moving
through an inventory of legacy boxes (how many boxes per day, per hour,
etc.)?

--Do planning budgets include costs for facilities in which reviews are
conducted, moving legacy boxes to workrooms for review, shredding and
removal?

Thanks in advance to all.

Jeffrey Ritter

CEO

Waters Edge

202.285.7385

Discover that knowing the right question to ask--and answer--can make all
the difference!

Visit the CastleQuest <http://www.cqdiscovery.com/>  Discovery Library!

Our new book is now available--Defending
<http://www.cqdiscovery.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CQB%2D102>
Electronic Mail as Evidence--the Critical E-Discovery Questions.  Buy now
for 15% savings before January 15th.