From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 2009 00:33:32 -0500
On Jan 17, 2009, at 12:00 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system wrote:

> From: "Manago, William M" <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: January 16, 2009 4:52:37 PM EST
> Subject: Storing Electronic and Paper Records
>

> Greetings all,
>
> If your organization has an electronic recordkeeping system that is
> used
> to manage both paper and electronic records - what is your practice
> for
> storing the records?  Do you allow both paper and electronic to be
> stored in the same virtual folder?  Do you require paper to be stored
> only in physical folders separate from electronic in electronic
> virtual
> folders?

Maybe I am confused, but aren't virtual files, virtual tapes and so
on just 0's and 1's or some other type of digital record floating on
some server some place or in many cases, in lots of places.  Storing
the paper which is a physical record that exists on a sheet of paper
and is therefore in one place at a time. This piece of paper cannot
be stored with virtual records which exist (in a virtual world) on
one server one minute and then on another server that is less busy at
some other moment in time. The file may be  processing or updating on
Server 101 at 10:00 AM and in another storage server #205 at some
other time when it becomes an older file.  It might actually exist in
three different locations if mirroring is occurring.

I expect Rod Serling to come in with the Twilight Zone Theme.
"Imagine a piece of paper, a record, if you will?  It exists in time
and space in Omaha but with a flash of light, it it now in Cleveland.
Later in the day it is in Orlando, the happiest place on earth and
refuses to go back to Omaha where it is 12º F. In fact, the laws of
physics refuse to allow it to go back.  In fact, it never really
left.  It is only a piece of paper!"
Da da da da da da duhhhhh..........

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults