From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 2009 20:56:03 -0500
Records and Archives In the News is a compilation of news stories related to
records and archives management.

Museum cuts hours as archivist leaves
Sun Shopper - Prescott,AZ,USA
PRESCOTT - The Sharlot Hall Museum Library and Archives is cutting back on
its hours as it loses its archivist amidst tough state budget times. ...
<
http://prescottdailycourier.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=63304

Obama Could Kick Off Push for New Compliance Regs
InternetNews.com - USA
SOX and other regulations like FRCP (define) stimulated interest in the
archive and nearline disk market and exposed tape media's shortcomings for
meeting ...
<
http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3794456/Obama+Could+Kick+Off+Push+for+New+Compliance+Regs.htm

Data Breaches Soar in 2008
Scure Destruction Business - Cleveland,OH,USA
Require all mobile data storage devices that contain identifying
information encrypt sensitive data. Limit the number of people who may take
information out ...
<http://www.sdbmagazine.com/news/news.asp?ID=8777>

Data breaches rose dramatically during 2008
SC Magazine US - USA
In all, there were 35.7 million records potentially breached, according to
the notification letters and information provided by breached entities, ...
<
http://www.scmagazineus.com/Data-breaches-rose-dramatically-during-2008/article/123606/

Saving Your Intellectual Property
Patent Baristas - Cincinnati,OH,USA
If I were to tell you the number of times over the past three years I've
found some of my clients' confidential documents lying in open, shared
areas near ...
<
http://www.patentbaristas.com/archives/2009/01/07/saving-your-intellectual-property/

LIC marches towards a paperless office
Hindu - Chennai,India
... the database of digital images would ensure nil impact on business in
cases of destruction of paper-based records caused by accident or
disaster....
<http://www.hindu.com/2009/01/07/stories/2009010755700100.htm>

UConn Seeks Roll For Alumni Killed In Wars
Hartford Courant - United States
A university archivist is trying to identify alumni who died of wounds or
injuries sustained while serving in the United States armed forces for an
honor ...
<
http://www.courant.com/community/news/ec/hc-a5digbrf0107jan07,0,3095304.story

Paper Love: Inside the Holocaust Archives
Slate - USA
At the time I met him, Pomerance had already been to the archives in Bad
Arolsen once, but on a very focused tour with no opportunity to explore on
his own. ...
<http://www.slate.com/id/2207886/entry/2207974/>

Record Time
Washington City Paper - Washington,DC,USA
its first historian ever this year) -- all this rightly angered the
survivors. ...
<http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/display.php?id=36676>

Millions of pages of historical documents in NB now available via ...
The Canadian Press - FREDERICTON
FREDERICTON — Thirteen million pages of historical documents have gone
digital in New Brunswick. Documents dating back more than 200 years - such
as deeds ...
<
http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5hQoPY39ktIq2NYvwy_Q5hKFurx_g

Two centuries of land registry documents digitized
Times and Transcript - Moncton,New Brunswick,Canada
... historical documents, Greg Byrne, minister responsible for Service New
Brunswick, announced yesterday. A total of 13 million pages consisting of
deeds, ...
<http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/news/article/532347>

White House email II: Gewirtz responds
ZDNet - USA
But does the duty fall to the White House staff or to the National Archives
to preserve, respectful of the time limits necessary for presidential ...
<http://government.zdnet.com/?p=4260>

Regime-change documents to be posted online
Politics.hu - Budapest,Hungary
... records of Radio Free Europe broadcasts. OSA, in co-operation with
state archives will also digitalise sound recordings of the politburo
meetings, Rev said.
<http://www.politics.hu/20090108/regimechange-documents-to-be-posted-online>

Walmart Fined For Pharmacy Record-Keeping Violations
Ozarks First - Springfield,MO,USA
(Houston) Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. is getting out of legal trouble by paying a
fine to resolve numerous alleged record-keeping violations at south Texas...
<http://ozarksfirst.com/content/fulltext/?cid=104051>

County records, documents now available online
Mineral Wells Index - Mineral Wells,TX,USA
Through this online public access site individuals can perform searches on
public documents by entering one or more pieces of information – the
document ...
<http://www.mineralwellsindex.com/local/local_story_008092107.html>

Course shows companies what NOT to put in writing
Reuters - USA
... "We'll meet on Thursday to destroy the documents," it's better to say,
"We'll meet on Thursday to implement our document retention policy. ...
<http://uk.reuters.com/article/burningIssues/idUKTRE5075SA20090108>

Congress asks judge to keep Bush records at WH
The Associated Press
They want to ensure those documents don't get sent by the outgoing Bush
administration to the National Archives as President George W. Bush leaves
town, ...
<
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hq-4ZBiiUcq8IsbGQ0SHW04WS4kgD95J1OF00

International Center of Photography to Open Munkacsi's Lost Archive
Art Daily - USA
The recent rediscovery of his long-lost negative archive helps to clarify
his working methods and uncover the secrets behind his most famous
images....
<http://www.artdaily.com/index.asp?int_sec=2&int_new=28266>

Henry Luce Foundation Gift to Support New Museum Digital Archive
ARTINFO - New York,NY,USA
NEW YORK—The Henry Luce Foundation has donated $75000 to the New Museum
of Contemporary Art to support the creation of a digital archive of the
museum's ...
<
http://www.artinfo.com/news/story/29992/henry-luce-foundation-gift-to-support-new-museum-digital-archive/

CES: The High-Tech Art of Shredding
All Things D Blogs - San Francisco,CA,USA
by Christopher Lawton Do you like your documents shredded with a cross cut
or micro cut? Here'sa hint: shredders using the micro cut make the
smallest cut, ...
<http://voices.allthingsd.com/20090108/ces-the-high-tech-art-of-shredding/>

Before you sell your computer, smash the hard drive, says Which?
guardian.co.uk - UK
The magazine recovered 22000 "deleted" files from eight computers which it
bought ... (The US Pentagon recommends shredding them, although this is
requires ...
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/jan/08/hard-drive-security-which>

E-mail rules attack civil rights
BBC News - UK
Reports have suggested the government has even bigger plans for data
retention. They could involve one central database, gathering details on
every text ...
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7819230.stm>

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA