From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 2009 14:10:11 -0500
On Jan 24, 2009, at 12:00 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system wrote:
> My own experience, and NFPA stats dealing with arson, tell me that
> the coming years will see arson rise dramatically.  People who feel
> trapped  or are deeply angered over conditions use arson and
> vandalism to speak out about social conditions. As job losses
> mount, and the economy weakens, government buildings, as well a
> companies who lay off workers, will need to be concerned about
> security. Citizens are dramatically increasing their own security.
> Guns sales are through the roof.  People feel threatened.  I was
> told by a consultant in IT Security that a "good" (??)  hacker can
> earn over $1 million per year and it can be done beyond the reaches
> of our legal system.
>
> Securing records is an issue that will be more important this year.

Lat night I was reading the Reading Eagle and it had an article about
15 recent arson fires in one area.  Two pages later there was another
article about a large arson fire unrelated to the others.  The fire
marshal was basically stated "........they can't understand it but
arson is way above last year where there was only one true arson
fire."  Atlanta was recently hit with 14 consecutive arson fires.

Over the last decade, where things have been relatively good from an
economic standpoint, surveys showed 62% of Americans were
dissatisfied with the economic conditions in this country.  Imagine
how frustrated people will be in this coming year.  We have seen
computer crime and identity theft skyrocket as people seem to view
this as a victimless crime. Industrial sabotage is on the rise around
the world. But we are in a whole new phase now. This frustration will
be released by some as domestic violence, other by increasing the
crime rate but arson is always a component.

Management, records management and IT need to sit down and talk about
what risks will be increased in the coming year. Slashed budgets for
example may result in less budget for new fire wall and security and
encryption software which further helps the rise in cyber theft.

This would a good topic for records managers to be out front with.
How will this economy change our business model??

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM