From:
Jennifer Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2009 11:38:55 -0800
Hi Hugh,

One additional question, if we are storing paper, microfilm, and
magnetic media and there is not a separate space inside the vault for
each of these media (other than separate raking), would I want to have a
fire proof rating of Class 125 which is the highest of each of these?

Thanks,
Jennifer

On Jan 23, 2009, at 12:00 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system wrote:
> From: Jennifer Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: January 22, 2009 5:58:18 PM EST
> Subject: Vault Requirements
>

> Our City is constructing a new City Hall and we are in the process
> of gathering requirements for our records storage vault.  Can
> someone provide me with the latest standards and requirements for
> fireproof vaults?  Or could someone point me in the right direction

> of where to look?
>
> Thank you!
> Jennifer
>
> Jennifer Snyder
> City of North Las Vegas

The controlling Standard for Vault design is National Fire Protection

Association's document NFPA 232 "Protection of Records" and this can
be purchased from the NFPA.org/catalog site.  It is available as a
PDF or a printed Booklet.

This document states that the person responsible for the management
of records, classification and maintaining the retention and
disposition schedules of the records is the "Responsible Party" and
this states that you ( the Responsible party shall select the fire
protection engineer for your project to consult with the architect
and that you oversee the fire protection guidelines for the records
center or vault.

The two key issues to start the project with are: 1) What type and
volume of records will need protection in the vault and 2) The rating

for the vault should be consistent with the media formats.  If you
are only storing paper then a Class 350 Fire Rating is sufficient.
If you will store microfilm and computer media, then the rating
should be designed for that type of media as well which means the
vault must offer a Class 125 Fire Rating which is referring to the
temperature at which media is destroyed (125º F) rather than the
easier to achieve rating of Class 350 which similarly refers to the
temperature at which paper combusts and therefore is destroyed.
( 350º F.)

Some effort must be put forth to crystal ball whether or not you will

ever have microfilm or computer media as part of the collection.  ( A

pretty good bet with the Federal governments move to direct
everything from health records to government records to a digital
format.)

Larry Medina is ARMA's representative on the NFPA 232 Technical
Committee and is an excellent source of information on all things
having to do with Standards.

My own experience, and NFPA stats dealing with arson, tell me that
the coming years will see arson rise dramatically.  People who feel
trapped  or are deeply angered over conditions use arson and
vandalism to speak out about social conditions. As job losses mount,
and the economy weakens, government buildings, as well a companies
who lay off workers, will need to be concerned about security.
Citizens are dramatically increasing their own security.  Guns sales
are through the roof.  People feel threatened.  I was told by a
consultant in IT Security that a "good" (??)  hacker can earn over $1

million per year and it can be done beyond the reaches of our legal
system.

Securing records is an issue that will be more important this year.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
www.FIRELOCK.COM

present,place UNSUBSCRIBE RECMGMT-L or UNSUB RECMGMT-L in the body of
the message.