From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 2009 13:54:40 -0500
>I am looking for feedback on applying multiple retention policies on one
>folder.

If you're talking about an ERMS and applying a policy to a folder that
contains multiple record series, you would need to apply the retention at
the sub-folder or document level, unless you "turn off" or disable the
feature that allows documents to inherit the properties assigned to the folder.

>Since there are sometimes multiple authorities that have regulations on
>how long to keep certain Records is it best practice to create and apply
>more than one policy on a single folder or list the multiple authorities
>within the policy and make sure the policy follows the longest regulation?

The typical practice is to ALWAYS apply the longest retention period that
impacts a record.

Retention periods (as mentioned many times here) are based on a number of
factors, generally these are:

Legal, statutory or regulatory requirements
Business needs that may exceed those requirements
Any potential enduring, intrinsic, or historic value of the materials

At that time, organizations need to make determinations relative to:

An evaluation of any potential risks associated with these periods
Their tolerance for these risks if they discard them earlier

If there are conflicting or complimentary requirements that indicate
different retention periods, it's not uncommon to cite all of the periods in
the retention schedule for reference purposes (and to allow periodic
checking to determine if they've changed), BUT the longest period is the one
that is usually applied for any disposition action taken on the records.

Larry