From:
Eloquent ListServ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2009 08:26:00 -0800
It is possible to get software that permits global access to a
enterprise wide database while restricting specific functions on
specific subsets of the database to certain users - a compromise between
branch autonomy and central controls.

Your functional classification scheme (business rules / retention
schedule) can be common and apply to electronic records as well as
paper.

You can see the description of
<http://www.eloquent-systems.com/products/records.shtml>  such software
on my website. Caution: some may consider this advertizing.

Merv Richter