From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2009 20:47:55 -0500
RAIN 20090202

Records and Archives In the News is a compilation of news stories related to
records and archives management.

UNT's CyberCemetery to preserve Internet sites from Bush ...
North Texas e-News - TX,USA
By UNT News Service DENTON (UNT), Texas — Construction hasn't yet begun
on the George W. Bush Presidential Library, but within a few weeks after
the shift ...
<http://www.ntxe-news.com/artman/publish/article_51861.shtml>

Iron Mountain is Commission's top pick for storage: Pa. facility ...
TMCnet - USA
Blaney said an archivist with the state Division of Culture and History
visited the courthouse and went through the county's old documents and its
microfilm ...
<
http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/-iron-mounta-is-commissions-top-pick-storage-pa-/2009/01/31/3954419.htm

John Dean's Watergate Role at Issue in Nixon Tapes Feud
New York Times - United States
Stanley Kutler, at the National Archives in 1996, compiled a transcript of
Watergate tapes that is a standard reference. At the center of the quarrel
is ...
<http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/01/washington/01kutler.html?hp>

NKU would study financial case for e-records
Kentucky.com - Lexington,KY,USA
Gary Ozanich of NKU's College of Informatics says the school will study
whether there is a financial incentive for doctors to convert to electronic
records. ...
<http://www.kentucky.com/471/story/678739.html>

*war stories*

PowerPoint to the People
The urgent need to fix federal archiving policies.

<http://www.slate.com/id/2209981/>

Can Your IT Department Read Your Offline Gmail?
PC Magazine - USA
If that's the case, storing an archive of those message on your work PC
might not seem like such a great idea. The archive is buried fairly deep in
your C:\ ...
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2339915,00.asp>

 Archivist's role in preserving Macon's black heritage connects ...
Macon Telegraph - Macon,GA,USA
Along with a team of archivists, she processes the items that will form new
collections. She may investigate the origin of a Revolutionary War-era
coin. ...
<http://www.macon.com/198/story/606406.html>

Dance archive isn't just in books
Norman Transcript - Norman,OK,USA
By Julianna Parker A group at the University of Oklahoma has set out to
create an archive of a famous ballet company, a feat that's more impressive
the more ...
<http://www.normantranscript.com/localnews/local_story_032010659>

White House e-mail down for a day
CNET News - San Francisco,CA,USA
The Obama administration may be considered tech-savvy, but it didn't do
them much good Monday when the White House was hit with a day-long "server
outage. ...<http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10150715-38.html>

White House E-Mail Down
InformationWeek - Manhasset,NY,USA
I'm sure I can convince an archiving vendor to ship in too. White House
geeks can email me at [log in to unmask] for any assistance they may need.
<
http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2009/01/white_house_ema.html

Corporate espionage incident at Microsoft
TECH.BLORGE.com <http://tech.blorge.com/> - Sydney,Australia
By Mike Ferro Microsoft has filed a lawsuit against a former employee for
stealing important files from the company. According to reports, the
former...
<
http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2009/02/01/corporate-espionage-incident-at-microsoft/

Washington status symbol: Obama's e-mail address
International Herald Tribune - France
There will be a similar select few in this White House." Those select few
who have Obama's e-mail address, according to people informed about the
matter, ...
<http://www.iht.com/articles/2009/02/01/america/email.1-419991.php>

Regulatory Compliance: How Digital Data Protection Helps
BusinessWeek - USA
by Iron Mountain Digital Digital data protection - including backup and
recovery, automatic digital shredding of compromised files, encryption, ...
<
http://techfinder.businessweek.com/businessweek/search/index/sol_summary/100391?pos=3&trkpg=PARTNER_SEARCH_RESULTS_BUSINESSWEEK&stype=Technology%20Digital%20Entertainment&n=100391&c=BUSINESSWEEK

SF archive gets grant to preserve ephemera
San Francisco Chronicle - CA, USA
... rows and rows of old documents - including voting records, marriage
licenses and deeds - fill the giant space under Civic Center Plaza that was
once a ...
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/02/01/BAUF15FVCN.DTL>

PNP, JLP archives in disarray
Jamaica Observer - Kingston,Jamaica
"I will be the first to admit that aspects of the archives have been in
disarray for sometime. It is true; it is just not in a good condition and
things ...<
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/html/20090201T200000-0500_145587_OBS_PNP__JLP_ARCHIVES_IN_DISARRAY_.asp

Roosevelt U Moves Collections onto New Archival Management System
Campus Technology - Chatsworth,CA,USA
We purchased STAR/Archives in part because we wanted to make the collection
accessible to our users," said archivist Laura Mills. ...
<
http://campustechnology.com/articles/2009/02/02/roosevelt-u-moves-collections-to-new-archiving-system.aspx

Five cloud computing myths exploded
ZDNet - USA
Apart from the likely management and support headaches such an approach
would entail, ... which is the principle behind information lifecycle
management. ...<http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-265450.html>

Obama opens the books
Politico - Washington,DC,USA
First, presidential papers are ultimately public documents that are part of
our national records and are paid for by public funds. ...
<http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0209/18266.html>

Ex-employee calls Microsoft spying lawsuit 'desperate'
ITworld.com - Framingham,MA,USA
Although Mullor did not address the accusations that Microsoft has made
regarding downloading of confidential documents, and then trying to hide
the ...
<
http://www.itworld.com/legal/61852/ex-employee-calls-microsoft-spying-lawsuit-desperate

Out of Hemingway's basement
Washington Times - Washington,DC,USA
(Associated Press/John F. Kennedy Presidential Library) Mr. McGovern,
museum officials and scholars hailed the agreement with Cuba as historic
cooperation ...
<http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/feb/02/out-of-hemingways-basement/

Disclosing Corporate Espionage
Dark Reading - New York,NY,USA
Corporate espionage probably goes on every day. I suspect we don't hear
about it because of the high stakes involved: companies don't want their
reputation ...
<http://www.darkreading.com/blog/archives/2009/02/disclosing_corp.html>

Digital refrigerator door: ISU preserving children's artwork
Bloomington Pantagraph - IL, USA
She worked with the Illinois State Library in Springfield and acquired
federal funding to cover the process. The images in the collection are as
varied as ...
<
http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2009/02/02/news/doc498776ff40221335100376.txt

Judge to spank Rambus in patent suit for destroying evidence
Ars Technica - Boston,MA,USA
... claims of patent infringement against Micron and declared the patents
unenforceable on the grounds that Rambus destroyed evidence pertinent to
the case. ...
<
http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2009/02/judge-to-spank-rambus-in-patent-suit-for-destroying-evidence.ars

Data Retention - Business requirements should drive IT...
IT-Director.com - USA
In November 2007 we conducted some research on the topic of information
governance in medium and large organisations across the globe [1]. ...
<http://www.it-director.com/business/security/content.php?cid=11040>

EU proposal puts confidential communications data at risk
Metamorphosis - Skopje,Macedonia
"Apart from the creation of vast data pools that could go far beyond what
is being collected under the directive on data retention, the proposal
would also ...
<http://www.metamorphosis.org.mk/content/view/1358/1/lang,en/>

Microsoft: employee stole documents for patent lawsuit
Ars Technica - Boston,MA,USA
The software giant alleges that an ex-employee stole documents from it in
order to file the first suit. By Emil Protalinski | Last updated February
2, ...
<http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/02/espionage.ars>
See all stories on this topic:

--