From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2009 13:47:53 -0500

From: Stephen Cohen <[log in to unmask]>

>> Briefing books should include the following
>> General responsibilities of owner, general contractor, and architect.
>> Would be good to include who is responsible for keeping records
>> and what
>> to do with records at completion of project.
>> Work breakdown structure - essentially a timeline showing tasks,
>> time/resources allocated to each task and sub-task, completion dates,
>> milestones, and similar data
>> Project details like room/space dimensions, simple floor plans and
>> elevations, listing of spaces with measurements
>> RFIs - questions and answers to be resolved through interaction among
>> owner, contractor and architect.

In many of these programming studies, they look at bad data and
perpetuate it. For example if you have 10,000 sq. ft and you were
only allowed to expand into 1,000 sq. ft over a 10 year period, they
assume that your growth is 100 sq. ft. per year.  This limitation of
growth might have been due to budget limitations.

Now you are building a new facility and you need to look at how
things should have been done. Your planning may be based on pulling
records back from offsite storage and eliminating that expense.  In
order to do that, these records need to be considered.   Or for the
last ten years you may not have allowed agencies or departments to
send records to you because you lacked the space.

Under NFPA 232 Protection of Records Standard, you are officially the
Responsible Party and you are charged with selecting and working with
the fire protection engineer.  This provides a great deal of power to
you. By working with the Fire Protection Engineer you can control
many issues. (Shelving arrays, vault design and protection,
sprinklers, clean agents, fire exits and so on.)  If there will be a
electronic storage or server vault as part of the archive ( as many
archives have web sites which display materials via a web site.) then
a Server Room is in play and NFPA 75 is in play for designing this room.

Many architects will pull out NFPA 232A and this is no longer the
controlling document.  Make sure they have a copy of NFPA 232 - 2007
which is the current version.

You should be able to provide a volume of records for each
classification and also for each format (paper microfilm and media)
as they each have their own environmental requirements.  So the
Appropriate ANSI or ISO Standards should be provided. ( ISO 154891
should be in there.  For various media ISO 17799, 18923, 18925.) Also
provide an annual growth rate per type of record so the archival
storage areas are adequate.

Too often they forget to provide the appropriate display areas for
certain parts of the collection. This ability to bring traffic to the
archive, display your rare or valued collections in a safe manner is
important.  Why have an archival center if you can't display
anything.  This is how you create interest and garner funding for the
future.  So NFPA 909 Protection of Cultural Resources has some
helpful ideas by borrowing from the Museum planning.

I would also meet with your Mobile Shelving suppliers as they are
really helpful in planning how to store your collection in the most
efficient manner.  Otherwise your architect may gather the
information and you may not be happy with way to decide to store it.
An architect will often use a cheap shelving company or leave out
appropriate expansion just so the entry is stunning and there is a
fountain somewhere.  If you like fountains and don't mind climbing
ladders all day to retrieve things then leave it all up to the
architect.

If not then you have a lot of work to do.

Vendors can be a great resource.  They do the project you are going
to do "once" in your lifetime every week somewhere. Shelving is as
complicated as heart surgery, work with a pro. Sure many records
manager believe we vendors are as fun to work with as a diseased
chicken but they often defend you from a clueless architect. Each
year millions of records are lost in fires because some architect
made the mistake of believing he or she could build a vault using
multiple payers of gypsum board. They cannot!!  Metal doors that are
fire rated are not the same thing as a vault door.  They never get
this simple point.  They do not get the idea that media needs
different fire protection than paper.
( Class 350 versus Class 125)  They also don't get that microfilm
needs a different temperature and humidity than paper or even
computer media.

Architects are generalists.  Today they design a hospital, tomorrow
an office building, next week a gas station, then a month later an
apartment building.  If you do your research ahead of time, you will
know more about an archive project that the designers.  You can
intimidate them into including you in every meeting about design with
you bringing your own fire protection engineer who is beholden to you
not the architect.  And then guess what?  You have the project you
need at the end instead of telling everyone a year later how they
screwed it all up. I have been involved in about 1,400 projects and
where the records manager, and or archivist is in control, the end
result if much better.

Where vendors assist you, you will have many of these programming
issues resolved before you even meet with the architect.  I also
suggest you talk with Shirley Kuhns who designed the City of Las
Vegas Records Center which was one of the best records manager
designed projects I have ever been involved with.

Best of Luck.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134