From:
Angie Fares <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2009 10:39:18 -0600
I was fortunate in that my user community was used to assigning record
series by content from typing in boxes and folders in the physical
records management inventory system.  Of course, I would have that
checked by my staff before transmittal, but the feedback that we gave to
our user community helped them learn over time.

When we got ready to start modeling email management rules, we set up
the exact same folder structure for them in a repository to sort email
by content, but used "virtual" as our folder type.  Anything not moved
out of email and "filed" into the repository gets wiped out within 90
days.  We eliminated the use of public folders and email box sizes are
limited by role.  We are using this same structure for desktop documents
as well.  Each user sees only those folders that they would use in the
regular course of business to create actual records.

The hardest part has been teaching users to sort true records from the
everyday "white noise" of operational communications and CYA stuff.
They've also had to be trained to use outlook calendars and tasks lists
instead of email as a "TO DO" list.  I've been tweaking my training
tools constantly looking for better ways to make the training quick,
easy, and effective.

Like any cultural re-engineering project, it is beginning to "take" and
I'm seeing far less being filed than I expected.  I sample every month,
particularly if IT reports someone moving large chunks of information or
suddenly decompressing a lot of files.  Those are my red flags to see
what is going on.

Still, it is an ongoing battle to make sure we get things correctly
classified.  It is hard to assimilate everyone in a large organization
because of turnover and distance, but I think things will get better.

Angie Fares, RHIA, CISA, CRM
Director, Corporate Records & Information
RadioShack Corporation
300 RadioShack Circle, WF4-130
Fort Worth, TX  76102
Phone: 817-415-4925