From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 2009 17:17:00 -0400
On Mar 10, 2009, at 12:00 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system wrote:

> rom: Angie Fares <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: March 9, 2009 12:33:11 PM EDT
> Subject: Re: Record Storage Vendors

Snips from Angie

> I like David Gaynon's suggestion.
>
> A discount "pricing group" might be just the thing to lower costs for
> the individual organizations using the service and help the storage
> vendors manage their resources better by prioritizing what the group
> needs in terms of service levels, help desk coverage, response times,
> system maintenance and upgrades, etc.
>

> I would imagine that some of the ARMA Industry Specific Groups could
> get
> concensus on a service model that would be common to organizations
> in a
> similar industry.  By electing a user-group liaison to interface
> with a
> record storage service delivery manager high up in the organization,
> maybe the group as a whole could get some leverage.

I think the buying group might have some merit.  If you offered
storage companies in the industry 20,000 tapes or 20,000 boxes (or
more)  in X number of cities, then you could receive a very solid bid.
You could specify simple things like next day delivery as a SLA.

The whole purpose of the National Records Centers, (www.nationalrecordscenters.com
) Secure Media Vault Associates (www.securemediavaults.com) other
consortiums acting as a vendor group, is to offer large consortiums of
clients or even one large client volume competitive pricing in
multiple markets or improved service in a spectrum of markets. So the
vendor groups exist.  PRISM International exists as a major trade
group to allow independent records storage centers to act in
networking to serve wide based accounts.

Nevertheless, I believe you will never be successful in gathering
multiple accounts into a combine. You simply cannot achieve consensus
among disparate companies, their records managers and their purchasing
agents.  If you can though, I promise there are already organizations
out there that will jump on such a bid opportunity.

For example, a few years ago, a network came to FIRELOCK and asked us
how they could lower the price on our vault so it would provide all
the great protection but be a little less expensive.  We immediately
develop a pricing model that said if they would standardize all of
their future vaults on a set height, (they chose 8' 0" High) thus
creating volume for us in a given standard height, that this discount
would apply. Being the optimist I was, I looked for a whole new trend.
Playing with my kids while the vaults practically sold themselves.  :~)

Guess how vaults were ordered at the standard height?  No!  Not that
many!  Zero! Yes.

Individuals want what they want.  If they have a 10' ceiling they want
a vault that fits it.  If they have a 12' height they want to use all
of that. I just installed a vault that was 8' 3" high.  Know how high
the ceiling was?   8' 4" above the area where the vault was installed.

But if you truly think that could work send me an email off list and I
will tell you how you could make this work for you.  The market is
extremely friendly right now, a buyer's market if you will. But would
you really work with another company do make this work?

Really, can you answer that question?

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134