From:
"Mattson, Donald J" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 2009 11:02:34 -0500
Ian,
Depending on delivery method you should be able to track it through carrier. However, if like our vendor, you get them sent to you directly from storage, you should be able to have them show the necessary supporting documentation and who signed for the boxes. If they cannot produce this information, the boxes were not delivered. Most storage vendors require signatory response on delivery. The next step would be to do an inventory with the current vendor to see if any boxes were not properly processed.
If the vendor did the proper procedures, you should have available the names of the personnel internally that received the boxes, the date delivered and to whom.

Once these avenues are explored I would recommend that a risk analysis be done to determine if the missing information is going to expose you to sanctions or fines and then I would consider pursuing legal action. Also, someone else mentioned verifying your destruction records. If you find these items were in fact due for or destroyed audit your billing to determine how long you were billed for storage of destroyed boxes. In the past I have had boxes belonging to the business I worked actually end up in inventory for other companies that had withdrawn their records from the vendor.

Donald J Mattson
Electronic Records Manager
CenterPoint Energy, Inc.
713-207-7167