From:
Ian Janssen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 2009 12:29:43 -0400
Thank you all for your responses so far - I see that I am not alone.

A couple of explanatory points that may help shed light on this problem:

1) All records traffic always was conducted at the level of individual
cartons rather than individual files, ever since records storage and
destruction were outsourced in the mid-1990s.

2) No records destruction ever was supposed to occur prior to receipt of
authorization from the university.  Cartons to be destroyed would be
recalled to the university for verification, then returned to the vendor
to be destroyed.  The 30 missing cartons never were scheduled for
destruction, so if their destruction occurred it was without any request
on the part of the university.

3) The original vendor palletized and shrink-wrapped the records to be
picked up by the new vendor.  Manifests for each pallet were supposed to
be provided, but in many cases were not.  The recipient vendor only
could examine the pallets after they were transported back to their own
facilities.  On multiple occasions, I requested copies of the
documentation from the original vendor, and was answered with silence.

4) Unfortunately, I cannot use payment as a form of leverage, because
the original vendor insisted that all permanent withdrawal and carton
request fees be paid in advance of the move, so they were paid.  Only a
small bill from occasional traffic that occurred during the move remains.

5) I know which cartons are missing, their contents, the numbers
assigned to them by the university, and the numbers assigned to them by
the original vendor.  Some are critical in nature.

6) In the past two years, the original vendor lost three cartons, which
was discovered because of routine requests for those cartons.  I
requested an audit of all university records held in their custody, and
was able to finally convince them to conduct a partial audit from a
certain point in time onwards, which translated into an audit of about
1/2 of the university's records held in their custody.  Naturally, they
assured me that all cartons were present and normal.  The missing
cartons were not covered by that audit.

7) In addition to the 30 missing cartons, there was one additional
missing carton.  It was delivered by the original vendor to the
university on last Friday.  The packing slip that accompanied listed
three cartons for delivery, including the one that actually was
delivered.  The other two cartons remain missing.

There's probably more, but that should add some detail to the picture.

--
Ian Janssen
Director