From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Apr 2009 22:27:58 -0400
RAIN 20090328

Records and Archives In the News is a compilation of news stories related to
records and archives management.

Unclog the information
Anniston Star (subscription) - Anniston,AL,USA
And no online access to the county's public documents. The students' study
correctly points out that many of the 25 counties without Web sites are
rural ...
<
http://www.annistonstar.com/opinion/2009/as-editorials-0327-editorial-9c26t3206.htm

How Shaw Air Force Base recoved flight data
NetworkWorld.com - Southborough,MA,USA
... and housing data last year in a data-storage crash, it was a
heart-stopping moment for the IT staff. "It had the training records," says
Dean Johnson, ...
<http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/032609-shaw-afb.html>

10 tips for secure computer disposal
TechRepublic - Louisville,KY,USA
Ultimately, you should just adopt an attitude of practical paranoia about
sensitive data storage, and act accordingly. Don’t fall into the trap of...
<http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=1216>

Cologne archive: after the disaster
Guardian Weekly - UK
I think any archivist or historian will understand this feeling perfectly;
we have devoted our lives to preserving these things. But then I thought:
what if ...
<http://www.guardianweekly.co.uk/?page=editorial&id=1004&catID=9>

Sun puts Internet Archive in a box, but will it stay there?
Ars Technica - Boston,MA,USA
The Internet Archive is moving its data to one of Sun's datacenter-in-a-box
units, and not a minute too soon. At the rate that print is dying, we'll
need to ...
<
http://arstechnica.com/web/news/2009/03/sun-puts-internet-archive-in-a-box-but-will-it-stay-there.ars

An ear for history
Daily Breeze - Torrance,CA,USA
A digital archive containing more than 41000 recordings of Spanish-language
songs produced between the early 1900s and 1950s became available online
today ...
<http://www.dailybreeze.com/lifeandculture/ci_12003377>

Opening Up Government
Washington Post - United States
DURING ITS eight years, the Bush administration treated the Freedom of
Information Act (FOIA) at best as a joke, at worst as an enemy. ...
<
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/27/AR2009032702850.html

krainian government returns Torah scroll
Jewish Telegraphic Agency - New York,NY,USA
Ukraine’s rabbis insist that all Torah scrolls and fragments being held
by the Ukrainian State Archives must be returned to their Jewish
communities. ...
<
http://jta.org/news/article/2009/03/26/1004032/ukrainian-government-returns-torah-scroll

Vines: Lowe has come a long way
Knoxville News Sentinel - Knoxville,TN,USA
One big difference in archival material that Lowe will deal with at the
Bush library will be electronic records, he said. Bush has taken with him
more than ...
<http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/mar/28/lowe-has-come-a-long-way/>

World's Top Online Archive of Mexican, Mexican American Recordings ...
Imperial Valley News - Holtville,CA,USA
The archive includes more than 41000 recordings and is a treasure trove of
historical Spanish-language songs dating from the early 1900s to the
1950s....
<
http://www.imperialvalleynews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4925&Itemid=2

Council, commission look at going paperless, but some officials unsure
Jackson Sun - Jackson,TN,USA
... studied the benefits of going paperless but that they think such a move
could save the city and county money and even space used for records
storage. ...
<http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/20090328/NEWS01/903280318>

Man accused of stealing of trade secrets
Chicago Breaking News - Tribune - Chicago,IL,USA
An Arlington Heights man was charged Friday with the theft of trade secrets
from the Wheeling company where he worked, authorities said. David Yen Lee,
52, ...
<
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/03/man-accused-of-stealing-of-trade-secrets.html

Ex-Valspar employee accused of industrial spying
Minneapolis Star Tribune - Minneapolis,MN,USA
A former Valspar Corp. employee was accused by US prosecutors of stealing
trade secrets from the paint maker, then packing his belongings for a
one-way trip ...
<
http://www.startribune.com/business/42021802.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUI

--