From:
Gordon Hoke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 2009 09:49:26 -0500
About 50 miles from my home, the Prairie Island nuclear power generator
now stores spent nuclear fuel rods in dry casks, above ground.  The
island is adjacent to the Mississippi River. The half-life of the rods'
radioactivity is about 10,000 years.  How should those casks be labeled,
and what kind of inventory records should be kept to advise people in
10,000 CE what dangers lie within?  Labeling should consider that flood,
earthquake, glaciers, etc. might separate these casks from their
inventory records.

One answer is the Norsam disk, or "pancake drive", as it was called
several years ago.  That ion beam Jesse describes can write either
digital or analog data -- or both.  The idea is that even if all
playback hardware and operating systems for digital etching were lost,
the disks would still be readable, if only by archaeological linguists
with electron microscopes.

Does anyone have a better way for really long-term storage of really
vital records?

Gordy Hoke