From:
Julie Colgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 2009 11:31:37 -0400
Hi Jesse,

Here are a few thoughts I have on email management:

~How to get end users to declare email as records (what ever that means for
an organization - saving to a DM, RM, etc...) consistently and appropriately
(with emphasis on the last one, for me).  The standard dilemma, for all
media!

~I'd like a better understanding of the current auto-classification tools on
the market and how they are being employed to assist with the bullet above.
What are the pros/cons and where is that market-segment headed?

~It seems to me that a multi-tiered approach is necessary for email
management in organziations with significant volume of email in order to
address the competing priorities of records retention and email server
stability/performance issues.  But perhaps only as a program is really
getting up and running?

For example, an organization isn't managing email as records (or not doing
it well), but their Exchange (or whatever) server is collapsing under the
weight.  So, a mid-term solution is to introduce an email "archiving" tool
that will take the weight off the email server right now, but not blow the
email away to somewhere unreachable for later classification and retention
(if necessary).  HERE'S my question for you - is there a point where you no
longer need the archive?  Can an organization expect that as its users
become proficient at declaring email as records and disposing of
non-record/transitory email in a timely manner, the archive tool can be
removed from the equation?  I ask from a cost/strategy perspective, with a
3-5 year outlook.

~I do have concerns about email that is hosted outside of the organization's
firewall, from a security and accessibility standpoint.  I realize hosting
happens for different reasons (some orgs host ALL of their email, some just
host their "archive", and some just host for redundancy).  This is less
about email, per se, and more about hosting concerns.  If I were going to
ask a question of an "expert", I suppose I'd like to know what players out
there have a proven track record for stability, security, etc.  I'd like to
know what the risks are around co-mingling of content (across host clients)
- when it's a problem and when it might be okay to consider if there is some
other benefit to it (cost, for example).

I'm sure I can come up with more, but just don't have the time right now to
wring my brain any further, and I'm sure plenty of other folks will share
their good thoughts on the issue as well.

If you have any questions, just give me a call, email me or send me a Tweet!

Julie

Julie J. Colgan
http://twitter.com/juliecolgan