From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 2009 00:20:21 -0400
On Apr 13, 2009, at 12:00 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system wrote:

> the Rosetta system in several of my digital preservation
> presentations. It was developed by Los Alamos National Laboratories
> and
> commercialized(?) by Norsam Technologies. It uses an ion beam to
> etch data
> into the surface of very hard metals such as nickel or titanium.
> Depending
> on how dense the data is written, it can be read using an optical or
> electron microscope and claims a lifespan of 2000+ years.

This is one of those things that sounds great until you think through
what the cost for the electron microscope is.  They cost over a
million dollars.  The demand for time to use the existing microscopes
is far in excess of availability so if you decide to take your Rosetta
Stone files down to the University of Texas or the few other places
where such research devices exist, you will probably find that these
units are unavailable.  In concept it works but in practical use, I
doubt this technology has long term legs. Storing as PDF's in the new
archival programs and simple microfilm seem to be the archiving
systems still available for the masses.

Unless the drastically lower the cost of electron or other high
powered microscopes is dramatically reduced in the coming years.  Low
cost technology always seems to drive out higher technology but more
expensive technologies.  It is still an ROI world.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM