From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 2009 11:39:13 -0700
How to stack 50-60 boxes on a standard pallet, 5-6 high:

-On one of the long, solid sides of the pallet, place 4 boxes side by
side with the handle side facing out, and with about an inch overhang.
- Place 2 rows of 3 boxes/row next to the 4, with the handle sides
facing towards the short/fork lift tine sides of the pallet. Line the
end boxes up even with the outer edges of the first row. The boxes will
have about an inch of free space between them. Again, there will be some
overhang on each side of the pallet.
- Repeat for each level, alternating the side that the 4 boxes are on.
Once stacked and wrapped, each level is interlocked and surprisingly
stable, no crushing. You can put weak boxes in the middle 3 box row.
- This does not allow for all labels to be visible, but in my
experience, for most transport/destruction processes, that's not
critical, as the boxes are not going to be palletized for very long. If
you are having to disassemble pallets during such processes other than
for off-loading, you have a bigger problem than labels being visible.
- Average weight: 1300 - 1400 lbs for 50 boxes.
- Note that boxes generally have a crush weight of 200 - 250 lbs. That
means that up to that weight can be stacked. Our boxes average 26 - 30
lbs. I would keep a safety margin and not go higher than 6 boxes. Crush
weight also doesn't equal bursting limit. We had a bad experience
getting boxes which only measured the one, but not the other. You could
stack them, but any lateral movement (such as pulling the box by the
handle!), would tear or burst the box.

I think double stacking pallets is asking for trouble.

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records Administrator
Multnomah County Fleet, Records, Electronics, Distribution and Stores
(FREDS)
1620 S.E. 190th Avenue
Portland, OR 97233
Phone: (503)988-3741