From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 2009 12:54:37 -0400
> about the value of using protective disc skins.
>Since I had not seen anything about these until today, I was wondering if
>anyone has any experience with these? Seems like they are readily available
>and not all that expensive. But how do they affect the disc itself short term
>and long term?

Gut reaction is avoid them, especially for long term storage.  The best
available guidance on care and handling of this type of media comes from NIST

http://www.itl.nist.gov/iad/894.05/docs/CDandDVDCareandHandlingGuide.pdf

Here are a few snips from the publication related to long term storge and
use of labels:

Adhesive labels should not be applied to optical discs destined for
long-term storage (more than five years). The label could delaminate over
time and interfere with disc drive operation.

To ensure the long-term availability of information on a disc that already
has an adhesive label, the information on the disc should be copied to, and
stored on, a disc without such a label.

...such labels are vulnerable to adverse environmental conditions: they can
dry out or absorb moisture, and they can be affected by heat or cold even
more than the disc itself. Such conditions may cause the label to delaminate.

Disc manufacturers advise against using adhesive labels because they can
create unbalanced disc spin, resulting in premature wear of the drive.

Larry

(Dang that Longhorn Hugh is a smart feller!)