From:
"deMarteleire, Margaret" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 2009 11:23:30 -0400
Brent - I just came back from two conferences on employment law, and the
answer to your question is that there is no hard and fast answer.  The
most conservative advice being handed out by employment lawyers is that
you keep everything from personnel files forever.  One alternative idea
being tossed around is that everyone receives the same increase, while
employers reward high performers with an annual bonus.  The bonus would
not be subject to the Ledbetter rules (so far, anyway).  They would only
be subject to a short retention period, which may differ from state to
state but probably would not be longer than five years (ask local
counsel).  I doubt Congress will act to clarify the issue. Until a few
of the cases brought under the Ledbetter Act go before the federal
courts and generate opinions, this will remain unsettled.  It's always
nice to have a definite answer, but there is not one for this question.

Margie

Margaret M. deMarteleire

HR/FLSA Analyst

CDI Corporation