From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 2009 09:58:51 -0600
Personnel file permanent... My oh my not even Larry would go that far.
Ya gotta love lawyers
I had a friend who shot a turkey. He hit it center mass with with a 12 gauge turkey load from 10 feet away. The turkey was dead but he was picking pin feathers out of every bite.

If you are anticipating litigation, you might keep the current retention period, place a litigation hold on disposal, wait for the case law to catch up and then decide what to do with the records. It seems to be not only overkill to make these records permanent ( knee jerk reaction) but it also increases liability in so many other areas. We have been trying, for how many years (with the exception of Larry) to reduce the number of years we keep these records. Now y'all come along and make them permanent and justify it bases on potential litigation? Somebody aughta run this by the Archives list and see what those folks say.

Chris Flynn
Records Manager
University of North Dakota
701/777-6797