From:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 2009 08:26:08 -0700
Carolyn,

That is an excellent point. As a former officer of ARMA International, I know that we had to deal with sensitive matters from time to time that would not be appropriate to expose because of an FOIA request or other requirement. I generally did not use my work email address for communications. However, it is well within the realm of possibility that a professional association could get unknowingly brought into an issue because one of their volunteers exposed sensitive information due to company or organization policy, or law.

It would not surprise me to see many organizations providing their volunteers (in particular their Boards and officers) with organization-specific email addresses (with webmail functionality) and collaborative environments in order to protect sensitive information. It becomes a not so small bit of technical challenge for the organization, but may become a necessity in order to protect privileged communications or proprietary information.

Unfortunately, this becomes one more hurdle for many organizations when trying to recruit and retain volunteers.

 Patrick Cunningham, CRM

"Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier."
-- Colin Powell