From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 2009 15:40:28 -0400
According to Processor Magazine in an article entitled "Responding to
a Cooling Crisis" they state that when temperatures rise above 84º F
in the Server Room, you start losing data.  Due to the rapid heat rise
that occurs with blade servers with any disruption of computer room
cooling; that irreversible damage can occur to the servers and the
data stored therein.

IT types worry about down time but from a RM perspective, this issue
of failing cooling systems causing a data loss ( records loss) is
something that should be brought up in risk management planning
meetings. An annoying part may be that they do not know what they have
lost. (I think there was a song about that "You never know what you
miss until its gone.....").

The government is becoming stricter an stricter about loss of
records.  Now is the time to talk about a loss of records due to air
conditioning problems or defective blade servers.

Also, Spammers are being forced due to security measures from Google,
etc. to look for back doors. Social networks, Linked In spoofs, peer
to peer networks are new ways to spread bots and viruses. I for one
worry that these networks we join might be a new security risk.

In 1990 no one worried about storing offsite media in Media Rated
Vaults. In 2008 thousands of companies have made the switch to store
computer media in Class 125 Media Rated Fire Vaults. Both onsite and
offsite. Protection and security are not just for the CIA and FBI any
more.  The value of data is just too much.

Finally, in this day and age, keep a pack of anti-bacterial wipes in
your pocket, briefcase or purse and use them throughout the day.  Hand
to hand is the primary transmission point for most disease vectors.
You can greatly reduce your risk and that of your family and
associates through this simple measure.

What can I say "I worry about you guys......"

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM