From:
Laurie Carpenter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 2009 18:19:10 -0400
I think as we use new technology such as Web 2.0 and Web 3.0, it seems as
though the lines may be getting blurred even more as to what's business and
what's personal and as today's youth enter the workforce, that trend may be
growing. So, in a few years, it might not be as easy to say to an employee,
keep personal records away from work because they have become so
integrated into the fabric of our workforce and even society. (Can you easily
refuse a friend request on Facebook for a professional contact or refus a
personal contact on LinkedIn to keep work and personal separate?) The
challenges then become privacy, how to pick out the "record" from the noise,
and how to adapt our practices to a changing culture yet still be compliant.

Yes, similar arguments can be said for the "previous" generation coming in
contact with "this" generation, but one of the main ways we've survived in the
profession is to adapt to the changing times. When I started in the industry
(as a toddler?) over 20 years ago, the norm was file level inventories, long
retention schedules and rigid, paper-based practices. I still remember the
radical tactic of NOT necessarily creating a file level inventory in every
department and getting department sign off on series disposal vs. specific file
sign off. Scary at the time, but now, more mainstream. Those who ignored
electronic records may have found themselves banished to the basement or
warehouse, or worse, found themselves jobless. We've had to change and
grow, and in many instances, it's for the better. The profession is now seen as
a legitimate, critical profession, not just about document storage.

Anyway, this is a long-winded way of saying that it may not be so cut and
dried or easy to say keep everything separate. Or, to use one of the
profession's favorite phrases, "It depends".

Opinions my own and not those of my employer...

Laurie Carpenter, CRM
Burbank, CA