From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 May 2009 11:40:13 -0400
>Hackers are holding for ransom the prescription drug records of eight
million Virginia residents, reports the Washington Post. The records are
part of Virginia's Prescription Monitoring Program for tracking drug abuse.
According to the report, the hackers deleted the records off of the state
site and replaced the homepage with a ransom note:

Now, isn't this another case of making you feel warm and fuzzy about the
need for standards to protect electronic health records?

This was behind the firewall of a site operated by a US State, which is
obviously held to meet the requirements of HIPAA for protection of data from
exposure, and they can't do it.  And this is but a small subset of Rx
records for ONE State.

Once again I'll say I'm NOT against the concept of electronic health
records, but MUCH NEEDS TO BE DONE before we charge forward!

http://shrinkster.com/16il

Larry