From:
"Cheng, Jason" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 May 2009 14:34:46 -0700
Everyone,

I'm not a records manager, but I have subscribed to this list for a
while now, and did receive valuable input from members in the past.

I've worked with FileNet (Content Management software with a Records
Manager component) software for 8 years now and have a slightly
different angle on Steve's comment.

Implementing a Records Management software solution requires a fair
amount of planning and even then, you'll find that after a lengthy
project, there are business requirements that weren't met.  This is a
common issue with software projects, but even more common with RM
projects since a lot of the initial analysis focuses on the academic
classification of documents and less on the tactical details of ensuring
individuals properly classify content.

For this reason, I do believe that focusing on the cost of the software
is going to simplify the task at hand.  If a software salesperson gives
you a presentation, they're going to sell you all the latest and
greatest features.  You simply might not need them.  I would argue that,
for the most part, the software you actually use is secondary to
planning and defining your requirements.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend a specific company or contractor, but I
would highly recommend enlisting the help of a resource that has
experience with RM in your industry to assist with planning, analysis,
and software selection.  The insight you can gain from doing this is
invaluable.

Unless you have RM software experience, I believe the software selection
process will confuse things, since you may not be in a position to make
an informed decision.

I hope that helps a bit, and do share your experiences and insights.  In
the coming months I will be involved in an RM software implementation
for a public utility and I'd be happy to hear what's going on with your
efforts.