From:
Luciana Duranti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 May 2009 07:50:49 -0700
Hi Bill:

Communication can be across space or through time. If you saved the
document to get back to it later or for somebody else to refer to it
later and, in so doing, you filed it, putting it into relationship
with your other records, it is one of your records.  Every
organizations has plenty of records that are not communicated to one
or more recipients, from formal ones, like registers of incoming and
outgoing mail and land registers, to informal ones, like personal
agendas, memos to oneself on a meeting with a colleague, a client...

Luciana

At 07:38 AM 13/05/2009, Manago, William M wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I am preparing an article, that I hope will be published in an
>upcoming issue of the Infonomics magazine to answer the above
>question.  Part of the article will discuss the traditional
>definitions of documents and records. I would like to get current
>views on the following question, regarding one of the qualifications
>of a document as a record: can a document rise to the level of a
>record, if the document has not been formally transmitted to or
>communicated with one or more recipients?
>
>I look forward to an interesting debate among, as Jesse puts it, the
>august members of this esteemed group.
>

>Bill Manago, CRM
>Director, Records Management Practice
>CA, Information Governance
>Tel: +1-954.482.2977

>To unsubscribe from this list, click the below link. If not already
>present, place UNSUBSCRIBE RECMGMT-L or UNSUB RECMGMT-L in the body
>of the message.
>mailto:[log in to unmask]

Dr. Luciana Duranti
Chair and Professor, Archival Studies
Director, The InterPARES Project www.interpares.org
Director, Digital Records Forensics Project www.digitalrecordsforensics.org
School of Library, Archival and Information Studies www.slais.ubc.ca
The University of British Columbia
The Irving K. Barber Learning Centre
Suite 470, 1961 East Mall
Vancouver, British Columbia  V6T 1Z1 CANADA
Tel: 604.822.2587
Fax: 604.822.6006
www.lucianaduranti.ca