From:
Julie Fleming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 May 2009 13:09:26 -0400
Sometimes even the examples shown can be considered "records" for
purposes of litigation.  The Sedona Conference guidelines state as
follows:

....Stated simply, this means that organizations must retain certain
information when:
• A local, state or federal law or regulation mandates continued
availability and accessibility;
• Internal organizational requirements, including policies and
contracts or other record-keeping requirements,
mandate retention, such as records for tax purposes; or
• The information is worthy of retention because it has other value to
the organization.

In addition, organizations must take steps to preserve certain
information if it is relevant to actual or reasonably
anticipated litigation, subpoenas or government investigative requests,
regardless of whether it meets any of the
preceding criteria or constitutes a formal “record” of the
organization. If, and only if, information does not meet the
above criteria requiring retention or preservation, then it may be
destroyed and in some cases must be destroyed."

Julie Ann Fleming, CRM