From:
John Annunziello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 May 2009 13:08:44 -0400
Lee wrote:
In my view, a document could also be considered an in-process record (it
is
not yet complete and is still active).  Once the document is complete (you

define completion), it is no longer a document and is now a record.  It
cannot
hold both definitions at the same time.

IMHO, this is something that records, IT and Legal will probably never
agree on.  Each has their own perspective...each having valid points to
consider.  Of course, we are RIM professionals and have the answer.  LOL.

Lee has made a good point.  However, if I am writing a report and it is in
draft form.  I have four or five drafts each changing and each containing
points to further clariffy the situation.  Finally after many changes, the
report is approved.  Many would suggest that the drafts are all documents,
while the final report is the record.  But if I want to keep the drafts
because they clarify how I got to a decision, do those drafts remain a
document.  Or are they just as important, containing content, context and
structure.  Do the drafts become a record because they are pointers to the
decision  making process in the final copy.

Some food for thought....

John Annunziello, ermm
Manager, Records and Information
Toronto and Region Conservation Authority

"Information is a corporate, strategic asset that needs to be managed"