From:
Steve Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 May 2009 10:17:46 -0700
John & List,

John wrote:

Lee has made a good point.  However, if I am writing a report and it is
in
draft form.  I have four or five drafts each changing and each
containing
points to further clarify the situation.  Finally after many changes,
the
report is approved.  Many would suggest that the drafts are all
documents,
while the final report is the record.  But if I want to keep the drafts
because they clarify how I got to a decision, do those drafts remain a
document. Or are they just as important, containing content, context and

structure. Do the drafts become a record because they are pointers to
the
decision making process in the final copy.

Some food for thought....

So, my reply is:

The various drafts would be documents and ALL of the documents would
become the record, right? "

Steven D. Morgan
Records Manager, C.J. Segerstrom & Sons
Costa Mesa, CA
714.438.3228 Phone
714.546.9835 Fax
Information is the currency of democracy. (Thomas Jefferson)