From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 May 2009 11:28:01 -0600
I just don't have the time to give this the attention it deserves and many
of you have made very good points. With regards to Steve's specific
instance, I say the following: 1. It depends on what your current policy is
WRT drafts.
2. If you don't have one or are amenable to changing it, I'd say the drafts
either a) remain as documents and are kept while someone thinks they are
useful (e.g. short term, to explain the final and record copy and how it was
created) and then deleted, or b) declared as a record with a short retention
period, perhaps as part of a series called "working papers" or "drafts" or
what have you.

I am NOT a big fan of keeping older drafts because things may have changed
significantly in the drafting process and I think it opens the organization
up to too much second-guessing at best and liability at worst. Otherwise,
why not keep *everything* and keep it *forever*? (in case it's not clear -
that's a RHETORICAL question, please put the flamethrowers down and back
away)

Cheers, and great topic all around,

Jesse Wilkins
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jessewilkins
AIIM Email Management Class comes to Denver Jun 9-12 -
visit http://accesssciences.com/education/email for details