From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 May 2009 11:59:56 -0600
Um....
I agree with all of your response except the second sentence - which seems
incongruous because the rest of the response describes broadly the
importance or value of a document which would cause it to be treated with
the appropriate controls necessary to retain it for the appropriate time
frame and to ensure its evidentiary value (again, broadly defined to include
archival value). Things that document transactions are kept as records
because of the value of the documentation of the transactions. Yes, context
is important. But what is context without the content? In other words, if
you know I sent an email to [log in to unmask], but not what was in it,
is it a record? In almost every instance, no.

Not to be pedantic or go off on a tangent but there are folks on this list,
whether new records managers or folks who are not RIM professionals by trade
or training, who will read that second sentence and be absolutely
befuddled.

jesse