From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 May 2009 11:53:10 -0400
This is one of those "This happens all too often" stories that we're finally
seeing publicized more frequently.  Hopefully, what this will result in is a
heightened awareness of the risks this poses for not only the individuals
whose information is exposed, but for the company/organization/individual
responsible for putting PII at risk.

Sadly, there are many who are honestly unaware of what constitutes PII and
what their obligations are for protecting it and hopefully over time, more
people wil become aware of this and the penalties for not adequately
protecting it.

The other side of the coin though is we as individuals need to be more
cautious of who we provide what information to and what they are doing with
it.  In the past 6 months, when filling out forms or requesting service in
various locations, I've been asked to provide a SSN and have refused.  Only
once did someone say they couldn't provide the service without it, and I
informed them that legally, I wasn't required to provide it as a form of
identification and that they would have to ask for other identifying
information.

I've also told both of my daughters to avoid providing their SSN unless it's
to a bank or an agency that provides some form of information regarding
their privacy policy.  Even a medical office, who always seems to ask for
it, doesn't need it- if you have insurance, they only need your insurance
ID# and have no need for an SSN for any purposes.

I'd have to think that many of these forms and papers in these dumpsters
were applications for financing of customers that didn't qualify, or from
those who did and the loan was issued out of a different office, so the
dealer didn't need the information any longer.

But likely nobody thought to ask- "What happens to that form?  How is it
managed and destroyed"   And likely the guy in the bad suit or cheesy polo
shirt that said you needed to fill it out didn't know (or care) that it
contained PII.

Larry