Date:
Thu, 21 May 2009 09:19:36 -0700
I agree with Doug.  I attended the "Big Bucket" session at the last ARMA
conference and if memory serves me they had reduced the number of items to
three (3) with retention I believe at permanent or extremely long term which
makes it easy to dump documents into the ......  Towards the end of the
session the speaker mentioned there was a one or more small groups that
didn't fall into the big bucket, but I don't recall they passing on what
they did with them.  My guess into a "Little Bucket".  You still need a
systematic approach putting the documents into the bucket, i.e., what record
series are you dumping into the bucket.  The user still needs to know what
documents go into what bucket with some method of retrieving the documents.

Doug has stated very well the differences between Federal Agencies and from
those that are being regulated.  Anybody working with FERC or NARUC
retention requirements (and probably many more requirements required by the
Federal and State governments) understand the futility of trying the total
big bucket approach.

Robert W. Dalton, CRM
Dalton Consulting
1-253-229-4555

"This communication is intended for the sole use of the individual and
entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is
privileged, confidential and excempt from disclosure under application law.
immediately by calling 1-253-229-4555, or by reply to this communication