From:
Bruce White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 May 2009 13:46:22 -0700
On 5/21/09, John Annunziello <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> So where does this leave us....with the notion that records management is
> different for each organization.  Sure the basic principles remain the same, but
> interpretation is part of records management.
I could argue, like you say, that it is different for each
organization.  As Steve pointed out a couple of days ago, each of us
has to go through the process of evaluating the value of records as
well as determining how long we need to retain them.

Government defines a record either in code or policy.  Even then there
is some interpretation.  In every organization I've worked for in the
private sector I have to define (along with my legal department) a
record is.  Each one is slightly different.  Some consider drafts as
records; others do not (discovery is a separate issue in itself.)

Ultimately I boil it down to risk - how much value to the organization
are the records (or drafts) in question.  That's something each
organization has to define in the context of its business.  It is our
job to help make that determination.

--
Bruce L. White, CRM, PMP
Orange County, CA