From:
Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 May 2009 17:33:09 -0700
We are going through this again?

The operational value is a reference value; how long the record owners
reference the records.  Absent any other values, the operational is the
driving value and will be the basis for the retention.   How long some
other organizations retain their records has nothing to do with how long
your organization references similar records.

How long does your organization reference the information?  Go ask
them.

Operational (actual reference value)
Fiscal (if any)
Regulatory (if any)
Legal advice (if any)
Historic (if any)

The retention policy will be the longest of these researched and
evaluated retention factors.

Ya'll have a good weekend.

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

>>> [log in to unmask] 5/21/2009 5:20 PM >>>
Ordinarily I hate to ask these kinds of questions, but I've already
done research on my end and I've come up empty.  Is there anybody in the
private sector that has set a retention period for a record series
described as "Client Registers and Lists?"  Such a record series would
include serial lists or registers of clients used for distribution
purposes, e.g., a list of client contacts produced from a database and
used to facilitate a mass mailing to clients.  Does anyone - especially
those working in financial institutions -- know whether there is a legal
requirement to keep such client lists beyond their period of immediate
use?  If not, perhaps someone out there in the financial sector has set
a retention period for this type of record based on
operational/administrative value.  If you can share, I'd greatly
appreciate it.  Thanks.

--Lee

[cid:image001.jpg@01C9DA38.6AB21810]
Lee R. Nemchek, MLS, CRM