From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 May 2009 14:23:39 -0400
On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 1:22 PM, Ward Fennell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I have followed this thread with great
> interest as it appears to be quite unsettled just how this group determines
> what a record is.

The reason it appears to be unsettled is that the question of what is a
record is highly dependent upon the organization. One must first start with
the ISO definition from there it is up to each organization to determine how
records are created, used and maintained by them. What one organization
decides may not be directly applicable to another.

We seem to go through this "angels on the head of pin" discussion about
records on a fairly regular basis. Most if not all of the responses tend to
be from a micro and not a macro level. The examples also come from
individual perspectives and experiences.

You will find yourself going through this same process within your own
organization. You should go through the listserv archives and read past
discussions about what is a record.

also in case no one has provided you with it you should download a copy of
the ARMA RIM competencies
http://www.arma.org/competencies/index.cfm

you may also want to take the self-assessment test as it could help you in
determining what you need to learn

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va