From:
Laurie Carpenter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 May 2009 16:03:17 -0400
I think part of the reason we're still debating is that every organization's
culture is different.  Our job is to figure out how it will work with what we've
got (some parts of a corporate culture we can change, some parts we can't -
maybe they started using some terms before you got there and they are too
ingrained to change them). So, for one company, they may have Documents
vs. Records. A second company may have Official Business Records vs. Non-
Official Records. At another company they may put it ALL on the schedule to
ensure that non-records are disposed of in a reasonable timeframe.

The theory seems pretty straightforward. Define a record, keep it for the
retention period and make sure that all copies are destroyed no later than the
original. So why is it so hard? It's all the "other" stuff that's not originals, but
copies, drafts and things that maybe don't fit the definition of a record, but
still might need to be retained or disposed of.

Users can get confused if this "other" stuff isn't defined for them in a way that
makes sense to them. Unfortunately, the names we associate with them
cannot be universal across companies (some attorneys might have a fit
with "Non-Official Records" because maybe they think it seems under-handed
in some way; some find the use of "Document" confusing because of it's
common use in litigation). So somehow, we have to balance the policy, the
terminology and the training in such a way to maintain compliance against
creating policies and procedures that everyone can understand and do.

Opinions my own and not those of my employer.

Laurie Carpenter, CRM
Burbank, CA