From:
"Acevedo, Alex" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 May 2009 09:31:55 -0700
Linda Said, " Wouldn't you rather have a conversation with IM about this, and provide approval before the records are re-boxed?  It appears that, by default, users are allowing IM to make a judgment call on when to re-box records."

IM chose to send users a letter indicating their intent to re-box proactively in the name of information security. I agree with others in the need to be part of the decision-making process. Not to mention IM is charging for a service many costumers did not agree/contracted to do.

I've had the conversation with my account rep., sent a formal letter to IM stating our contractual right not to pay, and deduct from payment any re-box fees that do trickle in.

The grief this practice has caused was avoidable if IM had simply worked with their customers. We all want our information secured. I just feel it's a transparent effort to generate more revenue in the name of safekeeping my information.

Alex Acevedo, CRM
Symetra Financial