From:
"Hilliard, Mary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 May 2009 12:58:05 -0500
From Bill Manago, CRM "is it time for record managers to embrace and
take on the
challenge of managing ESI as well as records?"

Bill,
I am jumping late onto this thread.  I agree that all ESI, records and
non-records, has a lifecycle and must be managed to allow end of life
cycle disposition.  If we don't adopt such strategies, organizations
will continue to waste money and resources storing old stuff that should
have fallen off due to aging if it wasn't actively purged.  Not to
mention that all information in our possession becomes relevant in
litigation (including non-records that never should have been retained).
And ediscovery costs are not trivial.

I have watched with interest the presentations from those who have
developed strategies to do that very thing with email and other
unstructured information.  I think this is one of our greatest
challenges that has become particularly relevant after the adoption of
the new Federal Rules in 2006.

Mary Hilliard, CRM