From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 May 2009 11:11:47 -0400
On May 30, 2009, at 12:00 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system wrote:

> From: David Gaynon <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: May 29, 2009 11:15:41 AM EDT
> Subject: Re: Scientists invent memory storage good for a billion years
>

> An earlier project on long term preservation involved Los Alamos
> National Laboratory.  See  http://www.norsam.com/hdrosetta.htm
>
> The problem -- of course -- is where do store such things so anyone
> in a thousand years will be able to find them.  One group came up
> with the following solution http://www.acfnewsource.org/science/rosetta_disc.html

where do store such things so anyone in a thousand years will be able
to find them?

un huh huh huh!  In a FIRELOCK Vault.

Metal exposed to fire oxidizes.  It corrodes.  High heat causes things
to distort. Poor environmental conditions cause media to fade away.
None of these different technologies ever consider protecting the
collection it seems. Somewhere along the way when the collection
becomes valuable enough or some catastrophe almost destroys it, the
owner finally realizes a vault is the way to go. Film collections,
rare art, stradiveri violins and cellos, historical artifacts, PBS
film archives, Pay per view, Golf archival film, railway real estate
right of ways, $25 in Trust Collateral, and so on.

In my earlier life I sold bank equipment and vault doors and the old
doors, the round type were nickel plated and if they were really nice
they had jiggered nickel which was to put a swirl pattern in the
surface so it gleamed like diamond.  But every year that door had to
be wiped down and polished or it would corrode.

One time in Belton, Texas, I installed a gorgeous antique vault door
and it was polished to a fine finish.  But over the weekend the
ceramic tile contractor came in and applied acid to his floor to clean
it prior to sealing it.  By Monday that door was a rusty red.  It cost
$1,200 to have the door re-cleaned.  That is why the old style doors
faded from use.  The upkeep on the chrome and nickel plating was too
cumbersome.

So it is with vaulting, right now decisions are made that in this
economy a vault is too costly and collections stay exposed.  All it
takes is one bad economic cycle and companies and individuals decide
holding on to old records just isn't practical.  And a hundred or a
thousand year old collection fall victim to cost cutting. So no
strategy, is a billion year strategy because people are left the keys
to the kingdom and people make bad decisions. A collection of a
billion years takes a lot of real estate.  Plus the hubris to thing we
will be here in a billion years.

But if you plan on being here, you should put it in a vault...   ;~)
Just joking.  In a billion years you won't remember where you built
the vault.  My office looks like a post it note collage of "Remember
Tuesday trip to Texas."  "Remember the appointment in NYC."   Just
last Sunday I cut really pretty peonies to take to a 90 year old woman
at church.  I placed them on the counter and everything.  The next
time I thought of them was at communion.  Still sitting on that
doggone counter. ;~)

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134